Vegan Bean & Sweet Potato stew with roasted Buckwheat
· Sweet potatoes – a person each (salt and 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil)
· 4-5 handfuls of raw Buckwheat groats
· 1 small onion, 1 carrot – fry in a pan until caramelised and golden.
· 2 cloves of garlic chopped into little pieces or grated with small grater, ground Cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt to taste.
· A can of organic tinned tomatoes or tomato sauce, or 5 -6 fresh tomatoes, skin peeled and diced
· 3-4 handfuls of Organic mixed beans (use tinned if you did not have time to prepare your own beans as this needs to be done in advance – soaked and cooked)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, line baking dish with baking paper
2. Wash well Organic sweet potatoes, dice into wedges or sticks, put in a baking dish and sprinkle with salt and olive oil. Mix it with your hands that every potato would be covered. I do it straight in a baking dish to save washing another bowl. Bake on the upper shelf for 20 - 25 min until soft.(time depends of the size of your wedges/sticks)
3. In the other baking dish, scatter about 4 - 5 handfuls of raw organic buckwheat groats and roast together with sweet potatoes on the lower shelf.
Prepare bean stew:
4. Fry onion and carrot until nicely caramelised and golden, then stir in all seasonings and garlic. Make sure you do not fry garlic for long, as it becomes bitter.
5. Add tomatoes and mixed beans and stew everything covered on low heat for about 10-15 min. (Don’t forget to drain the beans if you’re using tinned)
6. Finish it with fresh herbs of your choice ( I like parsley and coriander ). I tear washed herbs with my fingers, as slicing reduces amount of vitamins.
7. When everything is ready, start plating: a few wedges of sweet potatoes, pour stew on top and scatter roasted buckwheat and fresh herbs.